Sunday, March 5, 2017

My Wardrobe: Sabrina Slim Pants

I finally buckled down, tossed my fears, and attempted a pair of pants for myself.  Baby steps, right? So it needed to have an elastic or yoga band waist, stretchy (i.e. forgiving) fabric and not too many complicated parts.  This is slightly ridiculous because I have done plenty of fitted, non elastic waisted, complicated pants in kid size.  But trying to fit them on myself is a completely different matter.

So, I decided on the Love Notions Sabrina Slims.  I read tons of reviews both online and in sewing blogs and decided they would be a good pair to try.  Plus, I had similar pair that I wore the seat out of years ago, so I figured I already sort of loved them!



I was very studious and created a muslin pair of shorts.  It was from the same fabric type but in this maroon-y color that really did nothing for my legs.  I cut them out, basted them together and threw them on.  I made very fast observations because it was super cold (well, after taking off my purple, paint stained, fleece pants and slippers, anything would seem cold).  Then I tweaked a few things, froze trying them on again, ignored kids pounding on my door wondering what I was doing, threw my hands in the air and decided that was good enough.

And then, I made the real pair.  There are  more things to tweak, namely widening the legs, because I do not really like skinny legged things.  This should solve some of the gathering at my knees.  I really don't want to adjust for a big calf, which is surprising because I have chicken legs. I will probably also remove the back pocket but leave the welt... or make a faux welt because I like that it adds to my pancake rump, but I do not like that you can see the pocket from the outside, and my phone pulled my pants down when I stuck it back there today, so I probably won't be using it anyway ;)  Maybe I should tighten up that elastic a bit, lol

On to the next project... non stretchy pants.  Sigh.

P.S. I would have provided a full body shot, but every picture my husband took had me staring off into outer space.  Except the one of my rear, I have no idea where I was staring for that picture.  Unfortunately, therefore,  I had to cut off my head.  Well, then I was just left with a chest and legs, which looked equally odd.  So, I focused on the legs. You will have to use your imagination for navel north!

No comments:

Post a Comment